Current activities of the Section
Annual Business meeting
The recent meeting was held in Florence, Italy, in September 2019 in conjunction with ECCE12 & ECAB5.
The 2019 EFCE Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering was presented at the 12th European Congress of Chemical Engineering (ECCE12) in Florence, Italy, 15-19 September 2019.
From left to right: Dr. Stefan Kaufmann (Beiersdorf AG, Chair of EFCE Section on Product Design and Engineering); Dr. Andreas Guentner (Award winner); Prof. David Bogle (EFCE Scientific Vice-President)
Mission and Aims of the Section
Chemical product design and engineering may be considered as a new branch of the general chemical engineering discipline.
It is applied in many industrial areas, such as pharmaceutical, biomedical, food and feed products, cosmetics, adhesives, coatings, composites, etc.
This discipline comprises four major elements:
- structured product design and engineering methodology covering all elements in the product supply chain
- molecular design and engineering of properties
- understanding of molecular/micro-structure and product performance relationships
- insight into molecular/micro-structure and processing relationships
Mission & Aims
The mission of the Section on Product Design and Engineering is:
- To strengthen the scientific understanding of product design and engineering
- To stimulate and accelerate the development of
- innovative, complex and highly structured products
- suitable production processes
- To create a generic discipline across the different industrial sectors and to stimulate contacts between industry and academia
The aim of the Section is to
- consolidate European activities in this field
- organize biennial conferences
- establish a network and create a database of practitioners
- support educational activities and develop teaching material
Structure and Organisation
Dr. sc.techn. Stefan KAUFMANN, Beiersdorf AG, Germany
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ulrich BRÖCKEL, HS Trier, Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld, Germany
Dr.-Ing. Gerhard WAGNER, DSM Nutritional Products, The Netherlands
Dr. Jens UHLEMANN, Bayer AG, Germany
Prof. Dr. Willi MEIER, DECHEMA e.V., Frankfurt, Germany
EFCE Frankfurt secretariat, Ines Honndorf
c/o DECHEMA e.V., Theodor-Heuss-Allee 25, 60486 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Tel.: +49 69 7564 209; Fax: +49 69 7564 418
Section members :
Prof. dr. Ton BROEKHUIS, The Netherlands
Prof. Jean-Claude CHARPENTIER, France
Dr. Raquel COSTA, United Kingdom
Dr. sc.techn. Stefan KAUFMANN, Germany
Prof. Dr. Angel IRABIEN, Spain
Prof. Dr. Sören KIIL, Denmark
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Matthias KIND, Germany
Prof. Dr. Zeljko KNEZ, Slovenia
Dr. Francois MATTHEY, Switzerland
Dr. G.D. MOGGRIDGE, United Kingdom
Prof. Dr. Martin MORGENEYER, France
Prof. Dr. Leszek MOSCICKI, Poland
Dr. Amrit PAUDEL, Austria
Prof. Dr. Francesco PICCHIONI, The Netherlands
Dr. Marco RAMAIOLI, United Kingdom
Prof. Pedro SARAIVA, Portugal
Prof. Catinca SECUIANU, Romania
Dr.-Ing. Torsten STELZER, Puerto Rico
Prof. Evangelos TSOTSAS, Germany
Event Series of the Section
The Section organises a biennial Symposium on Product Design and Engineering, held in conjunction with the European Congresses of Chemical Engineering (ECCEs):
- 10th World Congress of Chemical Engineering (WCCE10)
Barcelona, Spain, 1-5 October 2017
- 10th European Congress of Chemical Engineering (ECCE10)
Nice, France, 27 September 1 October 2015
EFCE Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering
The 2019 EFCE Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering was presented to Dr. Andreas T. Güntner at the 12th European Congress of Chemical Engineering (ECCE12) in Florence, Italy, 15-19 September 2019. > more
The Excellence Award in generously sponsored by Beiersdorf AG.
The EFCE Section on Product Design and Engineering (PD&E) was founded in 2003 during the first EFCE-sponsored PD&E Conference held in Granada, Spain. The Section was created in response to the increasing demand of the chemical-based product industries. So far, the Section has organisedseveral biennial conferences on product design and engineering: Granada, Spain (2003); Groningen, The Netherlands (2005), Copenhagen, Denmark (2007); Montreal, Canada (2009) and Berlin, Germany (2011).
The following pages are restricted to members of the EFCE Working Party (EFCE Section).
EFCE is working with the DECHEMA Community-Tool. If you attended former events of the EFCE (e.g. WCCE10, Loss Prevention 2019) or DECHEMA, your address may be registered already. Please fill in these login details below.