The EFCE and the European Membrane Society (EMS) present a triennial Excellence Award to recognise a PhD thesis or paper(s) published in the preceding three-year period, which demonstrates the most outstanding contribution to research and/or practice in Membrane Engineering. This document describes how this award series will operate and the rules and procedures governing nomination.
The award will comprise:
- A certificate
- A travel grant from EFCE (not exceeding EUR 500) to attend the International Conference EuroMembrane 2024, where the award will be presented
- The registration to EuroMembrane 2024 from EMS
The award will be presented during a Special Session of EuroMembrane 2024, which will be held in Prague, Czech Republic, on 8-12 September 2024.
PhD theses or papers published between 01.01.2021 and 31.12.2023 may be nominated for evaluation, with a closing date of
Sunday, 31 March 2024
- The award is presented to researchers or engineers in the early stage of their careers, who have made excellent contributions to Membrane Engineering in the process industries.
- Nominations may be submitted by
- PhD supervisors at a PhD-awarding institution in an EFCE Member Country, or
- Individual members of a Member Society of EFCE/EMS
- Self-nominations are excluded
- No more than one nomination can be submitted by the same person
- The nominated PhD thesis or papers(s) must address a topic relevant to the field of Membrane Engineering.
- The nominated PhD thesis or paper(s) must have been published during the three calendar years preceding the closing date for nominations.
- The nominated PhD thesis must have been completed and published and the PhD degree examined and awarded.
- Participants in the call should not use the same work for other EMS competitions, such as in the case of the Ph.D. thesis for the Patrick Meares Award in 2024 or the case of papers for the 2024 Best Paper Award.
Nomination procedure, supporting documentation and closing date
Submission of nominations: Nominations should be submitted via the online submission tool and must contain the following information:
- Name, address and CV of the nominee
- Name and address of nominator
- Title of the PhD thesis or the paper(s)
- Date work commenced and date at which the PhD thesis was defended or publication date of the paper(s)
- Letter from the nominator
- Two letters of recommendation (no more than two pages each), from two independent referees outlining the key contribution to Membrane Engineering and stating clearly why the contribution is considered to be truly outstanding and thus deserving the Excellence Award.
- In the case of nominating a PhD thesis: An extended abstract of the thesis in English (maximum 10 pages) containing the following information must be included: summary, problem addressed, state of the art, key scientific and technological innovations, applications, implementations and results, references.
Upon request a copy of the thesis, as published (this will be returned after the evaluation is completed)
- In case of nominating a paper/papers: Copy/copies of up to the two most important publications in international journals where the nominee is the first author.
Deadline: nominations must be submitted online to reach the Excellence Award Committee no later than 31 March 2024. Late nominations will not be considered.
Presentation of selected work
The successful candidate will be invited to make a presentation at EuroMembrane 2024 at which the Award is presented.