Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering
Call for nominations 2019
The EFCE is pleased to announce the 2019 Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering to recognise a PhD thesis or papers published in the preceding two-year period, which demonstrates an outstanding contribution to research and/or practice in Product Design and Engineering. This document describes how this award series will operate and the rules and procedures governing nomination and selection of candidates.
The award will comprise:
- A certificate
- A cash award of EUR 1,500
- A travel grant (not exceeding EUR 500) to attend the European Conference on Product Design and Engineering where the award will be presented
The 2019 EFCE Excellence Award in Product Design and Engineering will be presented at the 7th European Symposium on Product Design and Engineering which will be held in conjunction with the 12th European Congress of Chemical Engineering/5th European Congress of Applied Biotechnology (ECCE12/ECAB5) in Florence, Italy, on 15-19 September 2019. (Congress website:http://www.ecce12-ecab5.org).
PhD theses and papers published between 01.01.2017 and 31.12.2018 may be nominated for evaluation.
|Closing date for nominations is
1 March 2019
- The award is presented to researchers or engineers in the early stage of their careers (below 35), who have made excellent contributions to Product Design and Engineering.
- Nominations may be submitted by
- PhD supervisors at a PhD-awarding institution in an EFCE Member Country, or
- Members of a national or regional member association of EFCE
- Self-nominations are excluded
- No more than one nomination can be submitted by the same person
- The nominated PhD thesis or papers must address a topic relevant to the field of Product Design and Engineering.
- The nominated PhD thesis or papers must have been published during the two calendar years preceding the closing date for nominations.
- The nominated PhD thesis must have been completed and published and the PhD degree examined and awarded.
Nomination procedure, supporting documentation and closing date
Supporting documentation: nominations should be submitted via the online submission tool and must contain the following information:
- Name and address and CV of the nominee
- Name and address of the nominator
- Title of the PhD thesis or the nominees papers
- Date work commenced, PhD awarded and thesis or papers published.
- List of publications of the nominee
- Two letters of recommendation in English (no more than two pages each), from two independent referees, as well as a nomination letter in in English from the nominator (no more than two pages), outlining the key contribution to Product Design and Engineering and stating clearly why the contribution is considered to be truly outstanding and thus deserving the Excellence Award,
- In the case of nominating a PhD thesis: an extended abstract in English (maximum 10 pages) containing a summary, the problem addressed and the current situation, key results, applications or implementations and impact of the research as well as references.
(A copy of the thesis as published is to be made available upon request and this will be returned after evaluation.)
- In the case of nominating papers: two refereed papers in English in either a journal or the proceedings of a well established conference series, with the candidate as first-named and primary author.
- Deadline: nominations must be submitted to reach the Excellence Award Committee no later than the announced deadline. Late nominations will not be considered.
Publication of selected work
The successful candidate will be invited to make a presentation at the European Symposium on Product Design and Engineering at which the Award is presented.
© DECHEMA e.V. last update November 12, 2018